Today is a celebratory day in the music industry, it is Janet Jackson’s 50th birthday! The youngest member of the Jackson family is certainly one of the biggest and most influential artists of all time. Starting out as a child star, Janet first got on the small screen on her family’s variety show, then soon starring in Good Time, Diff’rent Strokes, and Fame. While Janet released two albums under her father’s management, it when she met Jimmy Jazz and Terry Lewis she really found her musical identity. In 1986, she released Control, an album declaring her independence, and the rest is history. Since the release Janet has sold over 100 million records worldwide, won over 200 awards (including 33 Billboard Awards, nine MTV VMAS and Guinness World Records, 12 AMAs and five Grammys), sold out stadiums around the world, and has set the standard for music video in the MTV era. While celebrating a woman who has accomplished so much and has influence many of the artist that are out today, lets take a look at her top performances.
1. When she performed control at the 1987 AMAs
2. Her performance at the 1987 Grammy Awards
3. The entrance into her first world tour, the Rhythm Nation Tour, which to date is the highest selling debut tour of all time.
4. Performing "If" on her 1993 janet. World Tour
5. Her live performance of Again at the 1994 Oscars
6. How can we forget this intro to The Velvet Rope Tour
7. That time she used the VH1 fashion award show to speak up about domestic violence in 1998
8. When she showed everyone who’s boss at the 2000 VMAS
9. Only to do it again at her MTV Icon Ceremony
10. And when she followed up with a bang from her All For You Tour
11. Then there was the Super Bowl Halftime show…despite the controversy, this was still one of the best Halftime Shows of all time. (by the way, this was the incident that inspired YouTube).
12. But she brushed off the controversy with this stellar performance during ABC’s Good Morning America.
13. When her brother, the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, passed away, and MTV decided to honor him with a tribute, she hit the stage to showcase the legacy her and her brother built.
14. Then she reminded us of the hit maker she truly is…
15. And last year she reminded up why she is still the best female entertainer in the past 30 years with her Unbreakable Tour.
Happy Birthday Janet!